ERROR:

       
 or  

MILLER CONFERENCE 2017


October 7-11 2017 – Italy, Sicily
Castellammare del Golfo

SOCIAL ACTIVITIES PREVIEW

Social Dinner

On the 10th of October the delegates will attend a tour of the City of Palermo, the social dinner will take place at Ristorante alle Terrazze before returning to Castellammare del Golfo.




Main Guided Tour
During the guided tour of Palermo on the 10th you will visit the following.

Palatine Chapel

The Palatine Chapel is the royal chapel of the Norman kings of Sicily situated on the first floor at the center of the Palazzo Reale in Palermo.
Also referred to as a Palace church or Palace chapel, it was commissioned by Roger II of Sicily in 1132 to be built upon an older chapel (now the crypt) constructed around 1080.
The mosaics of the Palatine Chapel are of unparalleled elegance as concerns elongated proportions and streaming draperies of figures. They are also noted for subtle modulations of colour and luminance.
The chapel combines harmoniously a variety of styles: the Norman architecture and door decor, the Arabic arches and script adorning the roof, the Byzantine dome and mosaics. For instance, clusters of four eight-pointed stars, typical for Muslim design, are arranged on the ceiling so as to form a Christian cross. Other remarkable features of the chapel include the muqarnas ceiling, which is spectacular.

Palermo Cathedral

Palermo Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Palermo. It is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. As an architectural complex, it is characterized by the presence of different styles, due to a long history of additions, alterations and restorations, the last of which occurred in the 18th century.
The church was erected in 1185 by Walter Ophamil, the Anglo-Norman archbishop of Palermo and King William II's minister, on the area of an earlier Byzantine basilica.

Piazza Pretoria

Rearranged in the Sixteenth century, the spectacular Piazza Pretoria with its fountain and the numerous gleaming white statues, is a marvellous example of urban planning, which has achieved a perfect balance between space and volume.
The space forms a trapeze, defined between the sides of the churches of Saint Catherine and Saint Joseph dei Teatini. The domes of the two churches, which stand opposite each other, dominate the square, enclosing it within a series of prestigious palaces and buildings, including the Palazzo Senatorio the Town Hall, also called "Palace of the Eagles".

The Martorana

The Church of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio or San Nicolò dei Greci, commonly called the Martorana, overlooking the renowned Piazza Bellini in Palermo.
Co-Cathedral of Eparchy of Eastern Rite, is part of the Italo-Albanian Catholic Church, Diocese Byzantine-Greek Rite of Piana degli Albanesi.

San Cataldo

The Church of San Cataldo is a notable example of the Arabian - Norman architecture which flourished in Sicily under the Norman domination of the island. The church is annexed to that of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio.
Founded around 1160 by admiral Majone di Bari, has a rectangular plan with blind arches, partially occupied by windows. The ceiling has three characteristics red, bulge domes (cubole) and Arab-style merlons.

"Massimo" Theatre

Palermo's Teatro Massimo "Vittorio Emanuele" is not only the largest theatre in Italy, but also one of the largest in Europe. This imposing structure with its neoclassical exterior was designed and overseen by the Italian architect Giovan Battista Filippo Basile. Progress was slow, however, and work was suspended from 1882 to 1890. The following year, in 1891, Basile died without ever seeing his great masterpiece completed and his son, Ernesto, was called upon to finish the works.




SPONSORS